Many Mothers Helps
The LENDING LIBRARY is listed on the Articles page. Check out the more than 125 titles in Pat Stephens library. Call Pat to borrow a book.
Many Mothers provides a free service to families with newborns in the Santa Fe area. In today's fast-paced world where families are geographically dispersed or working, families often do not get the help they need. Many Mothers provides a vital service to any family with a new baby - free of charge to all income levels.
When a family calls, we match one of our skilled volunteers to their needs. The mother may need help with simple things like grocery shopping, reading a story to a sibling or rocking the baby so she can take a shower or rest. She may also just need a little company.
Many Mothers knows how exhausted and overwhelmed mothers and families can feel after the birth of a baby. We honor the work it takes to bring a child into this world and we nurture the one who did it. The more a mother feels cared for, the more able she is to care for her baby.
"Nearly all of us receive our first lessons in peaceful living from our mothers."
HH The Dalai Lama
Did you know that:
- Many Mothers has served over 561 moms, 579 newborns (38 sets of twins, 2 sets of triplets and 2 older adopted children) and 270 siblings in the 18 years we have served the Santa Fe community.
- Our families are Anglo, Latino, Native American, Asian, and African American.
- Our volunteer care providers include doulas, midwives, lactation consultants, infant massage therapists, social workers, teachers, nurses, day car providers, mothers, and grandmothers.
- In the last year 28% of our moms were single, raising their children alone.
- 50% of our families have annual incomes below $30,000
- The "Many Mothers Circle" is a free monthly gathering for moms to learn from educational presentations and to network for peer support and self empowerment.
- Many Mothers supports replication of its program in other communities with its "How to...." guidebook and personal mentoring. Many Mothers’ inspired program are functioning in 6 states.
- Many Mothers' support empowers new mothers and fosters the vital mother/child bond.
- Many Mothers' Pay It Forward program accepts and redistributes gently used newborn and maternity clothing, baby equipment, breast pumps, etc to families with newborns.
- Many Mothers' services are entirely free to families and we plan to keep it that way!
- Home visiting programs are proven to improve children's ability to form healthy relationships, succeed at school and earn higher paying jobs, and to increase life expectancy, while reducing juvenile delinquency and substance abuse.
- Helping families from the very start is preventative and reducing the need for future intervention with its higher societal costs.
- The degree of a mother's post-partum depression is inversely related to the amount of support she receives.
A new baby thrives on love and attention. So does a new mother.
Need an extra Pair of helping hands? We're here to help!